- McDonnell Apologizes for Taking Gifts and Money
- Rubio Hints at Government Shutdown Over Immigration
- Close Three-Way Senate Race in Kansas
- Police Union Won't Back Democratic Convention in Brooklyn
- Is Obamacare Helping Some GOP Governors?
Alabama Special Election Scheduled #AL01
Posted at 8:20 p.m. on July 26, 2013
Election officials have scheduled the race to replace Rep. Jo Bonner, R-Ala., who will resign from Congress on Aug. 2.
The primary election will most likely decide who will succeed Bonner, as this is a heavily Republican district.
The special primary will be held Sept. 24, per the governor’s office. If necessary, a primary runoff will be held on Nov. 5.
If there is no runoff, the general election will be on Nov. 5. In the event a runoff is required, the special general election will occur on Dec. 17.
“This timeline will allow the voters of District 1 to choose their next representative as soon as possible,” Gov. Robert Bentley said in a release. “My goal is to have representation for this district when Congress convenes next year. This timeline also protects the rights of military and overseas voters to cast absentee ballots for the candidate of their choice.”