America Rising Names Top Opposition Research Targets for 2014
Posted at 10:21 a.m. on Feb. 19, 2014
America Rising, a GOP group that procures and publishes research on Democratic candidates, announced Wednesday its first wave of top targets for the midterm elections.
The list of candidates, posted on America Rising’s newly launched website, includes information on almost all of the Democratic House and Senate candidates in the GOP’s top pickup opportunity races in 2014.
“We’ll roll out additional candidates as the map changes and expands, but that’s our initial list of candidates that we have research on,” said Tim Miller, executive director of America Rising.
America Rising also zeroed in on seven top targets:
- Sen. Mark Begich, D-Alaska, who faces his first re-election battle in November.
- Two-term Sen. Mark Pryor, D-Ark., who will likely face first-term Rep. Tom Cotton, R-Ark., in November.
- Sen. Kay Hagan, D-N.C., one of the Senate’s most vulnerable Democrats. The GOP field looking to take her on in November is crowded; the GOP nominee could be decided in a July 15 runoff.
- Kentucky Secretary of State Alison Lundergan Grimes, a Democrat running against Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell in Kentucky. McConnell is also facing a primary challenge from businessman Matt Bevin.
- Former Florida Chief Financial Officer Alex Sink, running in a special election in Florida’s 13th District against lobbyist David Jolly.
- Venture capitalist Sean Eldridge, a Democrat looking to take on GOP Rep. Chris Gibson in New York’s 19th District.
- Longtime Democratic Rep. Nick J. Rahall II of West Virginia. Rahall represents a district that GOP presidential nominee Mitt Romney carried with a 32-point margin in 2012.
Many of the candidates on the list are also top targets for the GOP’s House and Senate campaign committees.