- Internal Poll Shows Cresent Hardy Leading Potential Challengers
- Hassan Waits to Choose Her Adventure in New Hampshire
- Larry Kudlow Says He Would Challenge Blumenthal Over Iran Deal
- DSCC Talking to Potential Burr Challengers in North Carolina
- Drowning in Weak Polling, How Long Can Lindsey Graham Stay in 2016 Race?
Bill Young Dies at Age 82 (Updated)
Posted at 7:45 p.m. on Oct. 18, 2013
“U.S. Rep. C.W. Bill Young (FL-13) passed away this evening at The Walter Reed National Military Medical Center in the company of his family,” said a statement from his family. “The cause of death was complications related to a chronic injury. Information on services will be forthcoming.”
Young, the longest-serving Republican in the House, has been receiving rehabilitation for his back at Walter Reed National Military Medical Center. He announced his retirement last week, telling the Tampa Bay Times, “It’s time.”
Young’s retirement sparked a competitive race in Florida’s 13th District, which Young has represented for 22 terms.
However Young’s death now creates a vacancy in the seat, which will be filled by a special election called by GOP Gov. Rick Scott.