- Supreme Court Blocks Extension of Ohio Early Voting
- No Ruling on Kansas Democrats Picking Candidate
- Intruder Made It Deeper Into White House
- Senate Race in Kansas is a Toss Up
- Dead Heat for Massachusetts Governor
California Democrat Continues to Clear Field in Open Seat Race
Posted at 5:12 p.m. on Jan. 21
State Sen. Mark DeSaulnier, a Democrat, continues to clear the field in the race to replace retiring Rep. George Miller, D-Calif., in a Bay Area House seat.
On Tuesday, DeSaulnier announced that potential opponent, state Assemblymember Joan Buchanan, had endorsed his candidacy for California’s 11th District. Another potential candidate, Democratic Assemblymember Susan Bonilla, endorsed DeSaulnier on Monday.
In 2009, DeSaulnier lost a special election to now-Rep. John Garamendi, a Democrat.
California’s 11th District is rated a Safe Democrat contest by Rothenberg Political Report/Roll Call. President Barack Obama carried the district with 68 percent in 2012.