- Shaheen Barely Leads in New Hampshire
- Extra Bonus Quote of the Day
- Florida Gay Marriage Ban Ruled Unconstitutional
- Minnesota GOP Bans Its Own Candidate
- Rand Paul on a Mission in Guatemala
North Carolina: Rep. Howard Coble Announces Re-Election Bid
Posted at 2:47 p.m. on Jan. 27, 2012
North Carolina Rep. Howard Coble (R), 80, announced today that he will run for re-election to a 15th term.
Coble was hospitalized last month with a respiratory illness but said he had been cleared by his doctors to continue a career in Congress. He was first elected in 1984.
“Yes, I may be old, but I am also old-fashioned, too, where I feel you should judge a man by his record and his word,” he said in a statement. “Without sounding too immodest, I feel that I have crafted a record of solid legislative achievement along with outstanding constituent service.”
“I look forward to making my case for another term to the people of the new 6th Congressional District,” he said.
His announcement comes after considerable speculation that the 14-term Member might retire. After redistricting, the redrawn 6th district contains significant new territory for him. Coble raised just $17,000 in the fourth quarter of 2012. But he had $152,000 in cash on hand at the end of December.
Roll Call rates the race as Safe Republican.