- Exclusive: DSCC Hires National Political Director, Press Secretary
- First Look: Can Democrats Win the Senate in 2016?
- Democrats Lose Candidate and Hope in New York Special Election
- DCCC Announces Final Fundraising, Debt Figures for 2014
- Renee Ellmers May Face Primary Challenge
Democrat Announces Candidacy for Lankford Seat
Posted at 1:51 p.m. on Feb. 14, 2014
Oklahoma Democratic state Sen. Al McAffrey announced his candidacy for the 5th District on Thursday, according to the Associated Press.
“I’m running for Congress to bring some good old-fashioned Oklahoma common-sense to a place that desperately needs it,” he said in a statement provided to the AP and KGOU.
McAffrey is running in the Oklahoma City-based district to replace Republican Rep. James Lankford, who is campaigning for the open Senate race to replace retiring GOP Sen. Tom Coburn.
This House race would be a major lift for any Democrat. Mitt Romney carried the district by 18 points in 2012.