- Pat Toomey Is a Strong Candidate. Will That Be Enough in 2016?
- Both Parties Monitoring Impact of Arizona Redistricting Case
- Long List of Possible Barbara Mikulski Successors
- Mikulski Will Not Seek Another Term (Updated)
- Russ Feingold, Joe Sestak and the Improbable Senate Race Rematch
First Republican Enters Race for Cassidy’s House Seat #LA06
Posted at 4:36 p.m. on May 2, 2013
The grandson of a former champion Louisiana State University football coach is the first Republican to enter the race for the Bayou State’s open 6th District.
“Our country needs new leadership and new ideas, and I’m running for Congress to bring that fresh perspective we need,” Dietzel said.
He is likely to have plenty of company once the state legislative session ends.
The list of potential candidates for the open seat includes at least four state legislators: state Sen. Dan Claitor and state Reps. Erich Ponti, Hunter Greene and Steve Carter. Former Rep. Jeff Landry has also been mentioned as a possible candidate.
Dietzel, the founder and CEO of Anedot, may be able to count on some name recognition, thanks to his family’s background in LSU football. Dietzel’s grandfather led LSU to the 1958 college football championship after a perfect season and is a member of the state’s sports hall of fame.