- Hagan Still Up in North Carolina
- Extra Bonus Quote of the Day
- Pataki Again Flirts With White House Bid
- Do We Elect a Governor Who May End Up in Jail?
- Shaheen Leads by Double-Digits in New Hampshire
House Republicans Promote Seven Candidates
Posted at 10:30 a.m. on April 17
The National Republican Congressional Committee has elevated seven more candidates to the second-level “Contender” status of its Young Guns program for top House GOP prospects.
All GOP House candidates are eligible to apply for the Young Guns program. According to the NRCC, “Contender candidates have completed stringent program metrics and are on the path to developing a mature and competitive campaign operation.” The NRCC does not release any specifics on those benchmarks.
These seven additions are either running against Democratic incumbents or in open-seat races that the NRCC has deemed “favorable to the GOP candidate.”
The seven candidates are:
- State Sen. Lee Zeldin, a Republican running against Rep. Timothy H. Bishop, D-N.Y., in the 1st District. Zeldin faces a primary with a self-funding prosecutor, George Demos. The race is rated Leans Democratic by Rothenberg Political Report/Roll Call.
- Miami Dade County School Board member Carlos Curbelo, who is looking to oust Rep. Joe Garcia in Florida’s 26th District. The race is rated Tilt Democratic by Rothenberg Political Report/Roll Call.
- Chester County Commissioner Ryan Costello, running in the open-seat race for Pennsylvania’s 6th District. GOP Rep. Jim Gerlach is retiring. The race is rated Leans Republican by Rothenberg Political Report/Roll Call.
- State Sen. Torrey Westrom, a Republican running against longtime Rep. Collin C. Peterson, D-Minn., in the 7th District. The race is rated Leans Democratic by Rothenberg Political Report/Roll Call.
- Businessman Pedro Celis, running against freshman Rep. Suzan DelBene in Washington’s 1st District. The race is rated a Safe Democratic contest by Rothenberg Political Report/Roll Call.
- State Sen. Jeff Gorell, who is running against freshman Democratic Rep. Julia Brownley in California’s 26th District. The race is rated a Democrat Favored contest by Rothenberg Political Report/Roll Call.
- Former state Sen. Dan Debicella. Debicella is running against Democratic Rep. Jim Himes in Connecticut’s 4th District. The race is rated a Safe Democratic contest by Rothenberg Political Report/Roll Call.
These candidates join a list of 17 others who earned the same distinction last month.
The Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee has a similar program to aid its most promising candidates called Red to Blue. A list of those candidates can be found here.