- Dan Donovan Wins Special Election to Succeed Michael Grimm
- Grimm's N.Y. District Stays in Republican Hands
- Senate Races, Pro Salaries and Perspective on Spending
- Democrats Look Past Tuesday's New York Special Election
- Darin LaHood Raises $500K in Race to Replace Aaron Schock
Illinois: Schakowsky to Endorse Robin Kelly in Special Election
Posted at 6:45 a.m. on Feb. 13, 2013
Rep. Jan Schakowsky, D-Ill., told CQ Roll Call late Tuesday night she will endorse Kelly in the upcoming special election.
“One of the reasons is the gun issue,” Schakowsky said. “She has the view that we need to do some sensible violence prevention legislation.”
“The other two have A ratings from the National Rifle Association,” added the congresswoman, referring to Kelly’s rivals, former Rep. Debbie Halvorson and state Sen. Toi Hutchinson. “I think that’s an important issue.”
Gun control has played a prominent role in this special election for the heavily Democratic district on the south side of Chicago.
Earlier this week, Illinois Democratic Reps. Danny K. Davis and Bobby L. Rush cited Kelly’s position on gun control as one of their reasons for backing her. Schakowsky also noted New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg’s seven-figure super PAC ad buy knocking Halvorson on her gun positions.