- Democrats Court Ex-Congressman for Rematch
- Why Even Democrats Love Talking About Joni Ernst
- Senators Confirm Re-Election Bids for 2016
- Jerry Moran Kicks Off 2016 Cycle With $1.4 Million War Chest
- Exclusive: DSCC Hires National Political Director, Press Secretary
Iowa: Latham Quadruples Boswell’s Bank Account
Posted at 2:06 p.m. on Jan. 31, 2012
Rep. Tom Latham (R-Iowa) had a campaign bankroll almost four times the size of his opponent, Rep. Leonard Boswell (D-Iowa), heading into 2012.
Latham and Boswell are engaged in one of the most competitive races between two Members this cycle. Although the southwestern Iowa House district includes more of Boswell’s current turf, Latham has been fundraising much more aggressively.
Latham also raised almost twice as much as Boswell in the fourth quarter of 2011. Latham brought in $341,000, while Boswell raised $182,000 during those three months.
Iowa’s population did not grow as quickly as other states during the past decade so the state lost a seat in reapportionment. As a result, two Members were forced to face off against each other this year.