- Citizens United Case Helped Elect More Republicans
- House Republicans Don't Expect Government Shutdown
- Christie Makes Mexico Trip as Foreign Policy Test
- Franken Maintains Lead in Minnesota
- Senator's Refusal to Resign Changed South Dakota Politics
Louisiana Congressman to Endorse Candidate for Alexander’s Seat #LA05
Posted at 10:09 a.m. on Aug. 7, 2013
Fewer than 24 hours after Republican Rep. Rodney Alexander announced his retirement, state Sen. Neil Riser is set to pick up an endorsement from Rep. John Fleming, R-La.
“I’m going to support him,” Fleming told CQ Roll Call. “He’s got a strong conservative voting record.”
Louisiana sources say that Riser had notice that Alexander was contemplating retirement. The congressional hopeful has been making phone calls to potential supporters and other potential candidates for several months.
Alexandria Mayor Jacques Roy is another potential candidate, sources said.
Louisiana’s 5th District is a safe district for Republicans.
Later on Wednesday, At The Races will have a rundown of who else might run for this seat.