- Renee Ellmers May Face Primary Challenge
- Several Ohio Democrats Considering Senate Primary
- Democrats Set National Convention Date for 2016
- First Race Ratings for Gubernatorial Contests Revealed
- Democrats Could Face Primary Mess in Illinois Senate Race
Maryland: Independent Raises Eyebrows in Senate Bid
Posted at 11 p.m. on Sept. 10, 2012
An Independent Senate candidate from Montgomery County named Rob Sobhani has caught the attention of several Maryland Democrats with a major television advertising blitz in a challenge to Sen. Benjamin Cardin (D).
According to the Maryland political blog “Maryland Juice,” Sen. Barbara Mikulski (D) sent out a concerned fundraising solicitation to Cardin supporters about the $700,000 ad buy.
Several of those Sobhani spots aired Sunday night on broadcast television.
Democratic sources on the ground say that $700,000 warrants attention, but they maintain that Cardin should still coast to re-election. Former Secret Service agent Daniel Bongino is the Republican nominee. Roll Call rates this race as Safe Democratic.