- Joe Sestak Kicks Off Rematch With Pat Toomey
- Democrats Have Early Favorite House Pickup Opportunity
- Top Democratic Campaign Staffers Chart 2016 Paths
- Ex-Rep. Brad Schneider Inches Closer to Rematch in Illinois
- Democrat Back for Rematch With Freshman Republican
Minnesota: James Oberstar Endorses Rick Nolan in Democratic Primary
Posted at 8:01 p.m. on June 4, 2012
Former Rep. James Oberstar (D) has endorsed an old friend to take back his seat in Congress.
Oberstar’s statement was a veiled message to Democrats to coalesce around Nolan over his primary opponent, former state Sen. Tarryl Clark.
“We can’t take back the House without taking back the Fighting 8th District,” Oberstar said. “Rick Nolan will take back the Fighting 8th if we unite together as never before, and unite now, to defeat Chip Cravaack in the fall.”
Both men came to Congress in the 1974 Watergate class. In mid-May, Oberstar attended a fundraiser in Washington, D.C., for Nolan.
Cravaack’s upset over Oberstar stunned state and national Democrats in 2010. As a result, Cravaack is one of the most vulnerable Republicans in the House. Roll Call rates this race as Tossup.