- Jerry Moran Kicks Off 2016 Cycle With $1.4 Million War Chest
- Exclusive: DSCC Hires National Political Director, Press Secretary
- First Look: Can Democrats Win the Senate in 2016?
- Democrats Lose Candidate and Hope in New York Special Election
- DCCC Announces Final Fundraising, Debt Figures for 2014
Nevada: Danny Tarkanian Wins 4th District GOP Primary
Posted at 8:58 a.m. on June 13, 2012
Danny Tarkanian topped eight others Tuesday night to win Nevada’s 4th district Republican primary, setting up a general election race with Democratic state Senate Majority Leader Steven Horsford.
Tarkanian, an attorney and son of legendary basketball coach Jerry Tarkanian, won with 32 percent of the vote, followed by state Sen. Barbara Cegavske with 28 percent, bail enforcement agent Kenneth Wegner with 21 percent and businessman Dan Schwartz with 11 percent.
The new district, added in reapportionment, includes northern Clark County and six rural counties. It will be an uphill climb for Tarkanian against Horsford, a close ally of Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D). But Republicans believe Horsford, a member of the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee’s Majority Makers program, is a flawed candidate.
Democrats hold a voter registration edge in the district, and President Barack Obama would have won it with 56 percent in 2008.