NRCC Announces New ‘Contender’ Candidates
Posted at 11:36 a.m. on May 17, 2012
The National Republican Congressional Committee announced today that eight GOP House candidates are one step closer to earning the committee’s top-tier Young Guns status.
Those eight candidates progressed to the Contender level, the third step in the four-step Young Guns program. The candidates must meet district-specific benchmarks to move through the program, which gives fundraising and infrastructure assistance.
“These candidates have worked hard to meet the benchmarks that have been laid out before them and are determined to hold Washington Democrats accountable this November,” NRCC Chairman Pete Sessions (R-Texas) said in a statement.
The new Contenders are:
- Colusa County Supervisor Kim Vann, the leading Republican challenging Rep. John Garamendi in California’s 3rd district;
- Riverside County Supervisor John Tavaglione, running in California’s 41st district, a new seat;
- Brewery executive Joe Coors, challenging Rep. Ed Perlmutter in Colorado’s 7th district;
- Attorney Ben Lange, challenging Rep. Bruce Braley in Iowa’s 1st district;
- John Deere senior counsel John Archer, running to take on Rep. Dave Loebsack in Iowa’s 2nd district;
- Real estate developer Dan Dolan, also running to take on Loebsack;
- State Sen. David Rouzer, challenging Rep. Mike McIntyre in North Carolina’s 7th district; and
- Monroe County Executive Maggie Brooks, challenging Rep. Louise Slaughter in New York’s 25th district.
The NRCC also announced that five candidates entered the first step, or Vanguard status, of the Young Guns program. The committee’s press release said the designation is intended for “candidates running in Republican-leaning open seats.”
The Vanguard candidates are:
- Former U.S. Attorney Susan Brooks, the GOP nominee in Indiana’s 5th district;
- Former Indiana Republican Party Executive Director Luke Messer, the GOP nominee in Indiana’s 6th district;
- Former Republican National Committee Co-Chairwoman Ann Wagner, the likely GOP nominee in Missouri’s 2nd district;
- State Rep. Scott Perry, the GOP nominee in Pennsylvania’s 4th district;
- Retired trucking executive Howard Wallack and author Chris Stewart, running in Utah’s 2nd district.