- DCCC Robocalls Target GOP on DHS Funding
- Pat Toomey Is a Strong Candidate. Will That Be Enough in 2016?
- Both Parties Monitoring Impact of Arizona Redistricting Case
- Long List of Possible Barbara Mikulski Successors
- Mikulski Will Not Seek Another Term (Updated)
Pennsylvania: SEIU Backs Critz Over Altmire in Primary
Posted at 11:59 p.m. on Feb. 6, 2012
“SEIU is proud to support Mark Critz because he has shown that he is committed to fight to create jobs, oppose unfair trade deals and stand up for workers who want to join a union,” said Gabe Morgan, president of the Pennsylvania State Council of SEIU.
Pennsylvania lost a House seat in reapportionment, so Keystone State Republicans drew a new map that moved Critz and Altmire into the same district. Altmire has a geographical advantage in the redrawn 12th district, but Critz boasts more support from organized labor — a crucial coalition for southwestern Pennsylvania Democrats.
SEIU joins a growing chorus of local labor groups backing Critz. The United Steelworkers, Laborers’ District Council of Western Pennsylvania and United Mine Workers of America already voiced their support for Critz in the April 22 primary.