- Democrats Court Ex-Congressman for Rematch
- Why Even Democrats Love Talking About Joni Ernst
- Senators Confirm Re-Election Bids for 2016
- Jerry Moran Kicks Off 2016 Cycle With $1.4 Million War Chest
- Exclusive: DSCC Hires National Political Director, Press Secretary
Dennis Cardoza Resigning
Posted at 1:29 p.m. on Aug. 14, 2012
Updated: 2:01 p.m. | California Rep. Dennis Cardoza is resigning from Congress, four months ahead of his previously announced retirement.
The five-term Democrat announced the news today in an interview with the Sacramento Bee, and his resignation is effective at midnight Wednesday. His office released an official statement shortly after.
“In light of the fact that nothing is going to happen for the rest of the year, and in light of the fact that (my wife) and I are facing increasing parenting challenges, this seemed the right time to make this move,” Cardoza told the newspaper.
Cardoza’s late announcement means no special election will be held to fill his vacant seat. The Bee reported that his office staff will remain to handle constituent services.