- Renee Ellmers May Face Primary Challenge
- Several Ohio Democrats Considering Senate Primary
- Democrats Set National Convention Date for 2016
- First Race Ratings for Gubernatorial Contests Revealed
- Democrats Could Face Primary Mess in Illinois Senate Race
Shop Talk: RNC Names Mike Shields as New Chief of Staff
Posted at 4:40 p.m. on Feb. 26, 2013
The Republican National Committee named Mike Shields, a longtime House GOP operative, as its new chief of staff on Tuesday.
“Mike brings a wealth of political experience with him to the RNC, having worked on the Hill and in the field, for national committees and at the state level,” RNC Chairman Reince Priebus said in a statement.
Last cycle, Shields served as political director of the National Republican Congressional Committee — an entity housed in the same building as the RNC. In 2010, Shields ran the NRCC’s independent expenditure arm.
Shields was also one of the final contenders to be National Republican Senatorial Committee executive director.
The RNC’s current chief of staff, Jeff Larson, will continue as a senior adviser to the committee, according to a press release.
Politico first reported the Shields news.