- Long List of Possible Barbara Mikulski Successors
- Mikulski Will Not Seek Another Term (Updated)
- Russ Feingold, Joe Sestak and the Improbable Senate Race Rematch
- CPAC Campaign Boot Camp Trains GOP to Catch Up
- Ex-House Candidate Will Take Top Role in Likely Clinton Campaign
Simpson Primary Challenger Reports Strong Fundraising
Posted at 11:18 a.m. on Oct. 8, 2013
Smith will report $300,000 in cash on hand for his race against the eight-term incumbent, who is a close ally of Speaker John A. Boehner.
Smith’s campaign gained traction when the Club for Growth endorsed his campaign in July. This marked the deep-pocketed conservative group’s first major candidate endorsement of the 2014 cycle.
The club is seeking candidates to challenge nine members in the primary this cycle. So far, Smith is the only candidate the club has endorsed out of these nine targets.
Idaho’s 2nd District is rated a Safe Republican contest by Rothenberg Political Report/Roll Call. GOP presidential nominee Mitt Romney carried the district with 64 percent in 2012.