- Fifth Republican Joins Indiana GOP Primary to Succeed Stutzman
- Sources: Reichert Seriously Considering Washington Governor's Race
- 10 Jobs That Launch Congressional Candidates
- Ted Cruz Hoping to Tap Into Donald Trump's Star Power
- Senate Majority PAC Releases Second Ad Attacking Ayotte at Home
South Carolina: Haley Narrows Senate Appointment Pool to 5 Candidates
Posted at 12:59 p.m. on Dec. 11, 2012
Speculation has centered on Rep. Tim Scott, but there are some other interesting names on her shortlist. Besides Scott, four more South Carolina Republicans are in the mix: Rep. Trey Gowdy, former state Attorney General Henry McMaster, former South Carolina first lady Jenny Sanford, and state Department of Health and Environmental Control Director Catherine B. Templeton.
As CNN notes, one notable name omitted from the list is freshman Republican Rep. Mick Mulvaney.
“As has always been our policy, we do not comment on any aspect of an appointment process until the appointment is finalized,” Haley spokesman Rob Godfrey wrote in an email.
Haley announced on Monday she would not be appointing a caretaker for the job. Her pick is expected to be made as early as this week.