- Introducing: Political Wire Memberships
- How to be the Crazy Uncle at Thanksgiving
- Trump Leads Nationally as Cruz Surges Into Second
- Politicians Can Now Say Anything They Want
- A Novel of the Reagan Years
Posted at 9:46 a.m. on Dec. 17, 2012
South Carolina Gov. Nikki R. Haley is set to appoint Republican Rep. Tim Scott to succeed Sen. Jim DeMint, R-S.C., according to several news reports. The official announcement is expected to come at noon Monday.
Scott would immediately be up for re-election in 2014 to finish the rest of DeMint’s term, which expires in 2017.
DeMint announced plans to resign from Congress a week and a half ago to take the reigns of The Heritage Foundation, a conservative think tank.