- Trump Leads Nationally as Cruz Surges Into Second
- Politicians Can Now Say Anything They Want
- A Novel of the Reagan Years
- Big GOP Donors Have No Plans to Take on Trump
- How to Talk Politics at Thanksgiving
Posted at 3:47 a.m. on May 4, 2013
Republican Rep. Steve King announced on Twitter late Friday night that he would not run for Senate:
King marks the third — and highest-profile — contender to pull themselves from consideration in the last couple weeks.
I will not run for Senate in 2014. A Senate race takes me out of urgent battles in Congress that can't wait until 2015. Many thanks to all.— Steve King (@SteveKingIA) May 4, 2013
Republicans considered King to be a shoo-in for the primary, and his decision leaves the GOP field wide open in the race for retiring Democratic Sen. Tom Harkin’s seat.
The Democratic field has essentially cleared for Rep. Bruce Braley.