- How to Handle a Broken Campaign Promise
- Democrats Announce Finalists for 2016 Convention (Updated)
- Bill Cassidy Utilizes Weekly GOP Address, Again
- What Did — and Didn't — Surprise Me This Cycle
- Roger Wicker Looks for Fast Start at NRSC
Steve King Will Not Run for Senate #IASEN
Posted at 3:47 a.m. on May 4, 2013
Republican Rep. Steve King announced on Twitter late Friday night that he would not run for Senate:
King marks the third — and highest-profile — contender to pull themselves from consideration in the last couple weeks.
I will not run for Senate in 2014. A Senate race takes me out of urgent battles in Congress that can't wait until 2015. Many thanks to all.— Steve King (@SteveKingIA) May 4, 2013
Republicans considered King to be a shoo-in for the primary, and his decision leaves the GOP field wide open in the race for retiring Democratic Sen. Tom Harkin’s seat.
The Democratic field has essentially cleared for Rep. Bruce Braley.