- Hagan Still Up in North Carolina
- Extra Bonus Quote of the Day
- Pataki Again Flirts With White House Bid
- Do We Elect a Governor Who May End Up in Jail?
- Shaheen Leads by Double-Digits in New Hampshire
Tennessee: Chuck Fleischmann Wins Primary
Posted at 10:51 p.m. on Aug. 2, 2012
Republican Rep. Chuck Fleischmann won his contested primary tonight, dispatching dairy magnate Scottie Mayfield and 25-year-old Weston Wamp.
With 100 percent of precincts in the 3rd district reporting, Fleischmann got 39.1 percent to Mayfield’s 31 percent and Wamp’s 28.7 percent, according to the Associated Press.
The race presented some significant challenges for Fleischmann, a freshman. A lot of the redrawn seat was new turf to him, and both his opponents started with names that were familiar to voters. Mayfield was the longtime spokesman and CEO of a popular milk and ice cream company. Wamp is the son of former Rep. Zach Wamp (R-Tenn.), Fleischmann’s predecessor.