- Dan Donovan Wins Special Election to Succeed Michael Grimm
- Grimm's N.Y. District Stays in Republican Hands
- Senate Races, Pro Salaries and Perspective on Spending
- Democrats Look Past Tuesday's New York Special Election
- Darin LaHood Raises $500K in Race to Replace Aaron Schock
Virginia: Paul Hirschbiel Launches First TV Ad for 2nd District
Posted at 12:12 p.m. on Aug. 6, 2012
Businessman Paul Hirschbiel launched the first television ad of his campaign for Virginia’s 2nd district.
The ad begins airing Tuesday and is designed to introduce the Virginia Beach Democrat, whose first bid for public office is a challenge to freshman GOP Rep. Scott Rigell. The spot highlights Hirschbiel’s work in the community, specifically founding early childhood education programs in the Hampton Roads area.
“For Paul, it’s not just about the bottom line. It’s about improving lives,” Jamie Arnett, a teacher at Horizons Virginia Beach, says in the ad. Hirschbiel spent more than $70,000 to air the positive spot on broadcast TV for the first week.
This is the most competitive of Virginia’s 11 districts, and Roll Call rates it as Leans Republican. Both candidates have the ability to write themselves large checks: Through June 30, Rigell had donated $845,000 to his campaign, and Hirschbiel had donated $37,000.