- Long List of Possible Barbara Mikulski Successors
- Mikulski Will Not Seek Another Term (Updated)
- Russ Feingold, Joe Sestak and the Improbable Senate Race Rematch
- CPAC Campaign Boot Camp Trains GOP to Catch Up
- Ex-House Candidate Will Take Top Role in Likely Clinton Campaign
Women’s Super PAC Plays in West Virginia Primary
Posted at 3:56 p.m. on April 30, 2014
Two weeks before the primary, a super PAC that backs Republican women has entered a competitive House race in West Virginia.
Women Lead PAC had endorsed former International Trade Commissioner Charlotte Lane’s bid for the 2nd District in the Mountain State.
In fact, this district is one of the reasons House Republicans start off this cycle with a net deficit of women in the conference. Rep. Shelley Moore Capito — one of 19 House Republican women – is running for Senate.
Early voting began on Wednesday for this crowded primary. The top three contenders are Lane, former Maryland GOP Chairman Alex Mooney and pharmacist Ken Reed.
Reed has largely self-funded his campaign, while Mooney has the backing of many national tea party groups.
The likely Democratic nominee, former state Democratic Chairman Nick Casey, is not facing serious competition in his primary.
The race is rated Leans Republican by Rothenberg Political Report.